11/16/10

Fall in Iowa


I have been living in Iowa for 3 months now. Here are a few pictures of things I've done since I got here.

I went to Nauvoo, IL in September. I would like to dedicate this photo to my Mom. Thanks Mom for helping me refurbish this dress I thrifted into an awesome skirt. It turned out perfect and it looks great blowing in Mississippi wind.


In late September, I went on a field trip for work to the botanical garden in Minneapolis. One of the displays was this house of sticks. I thought it was pretty nifty and now I have a harebrained idea to someday make a summer home out of sticks. This house was made of willow, which I am not crazy about since they tend to have a nitrogenous aroma.

I started working at Seed Savers Exchange during the harvest season, which has it's perks. Mainly, coming home with garden booty multiple times a week. I've come home with garlic garlic, kale, collard greens, leeks, rutabaga, turnips, apples, potatoes, tomatoes, peppers and all manner of squash. My freezer is full of apple sauce, pumpkin butter, blanched kale and collards, spicy tomato sauce and squash guts. I have also lacto-fermented sauerkraut, garlic, rutabaga. The small little kitchen in my apartment is being pushed to it's limits. I am making due with what I've got but dreaming of the day when I have not only counter space, but functional counter space!


In this picture you can see the casualties from my apple orchard taste test and a few batches of sauerkraut I started fermenting.

Stuffed tomatoes with quinoa, bell pepper, and onion. Topped with melted mozzarella cheese.


Fried zucchini using coconut flour and seasoned with five spice

2 comments:

Cindy Garber Iverson said...

LOVE this post! Everything you've been up to sounds wonderful. I love the pic of you in front of the Nauvoo temple. It makes me miss it and want to go back for a visit. ~~Cindy

Tree Peeps said...

Wow! your fridge and freezer sound awesome! Good work :)