6/3/13

Limitations


"Learning to be creative within the confines of our limitations is the best hope we have to transform ourselves and, collectively, transform our world."



This talk reminded me of my exit interview with my adviser in grad school. When listing my strengths he said "You know your limitations". He meant it as a compliment. I know this because he followed with "I mean that as a compliment."

While pursuing my education, I faced all kinds of my limitations. Physical limitations, emotional limitations, brain capacity limitations, the real limitations, the limitations I made in my head, etc.

I learned a lot about me during that time. I'm still learning a lot about me because that is part of life. You don't hit a milestone and then it's all clear sailing. There will always be something in life that will come up and "school you".

Every once and a while I get bogged down with my current limitations so this talk was a pleasant little reminder that "Limitations may be the most unlikely of places to harness creativity, but perhaps one of the best ways to get ourselves out of ruts, rethink categories and challenge accepted norms." 

I truly believe that our limitations or weaknesses are something that God gives us so that we remember Him and so that he can change us for the better. Although in the middle of a major bog-down, I may not take everything coming at me in stride, I'm trying too do better.

And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them. (Ether 12:27)

3 comments:

Wendy said...

This made me smile. I like to be reminded that others deal with limitations too...sometimes I delude myself into thinking I am the only one with limitations. I also like that your scripture is from the book of "Either" My scriptures do not offer options like that. I should get a copy of yours :)

From The Muddy Puddle said...

Ha! good catch. Posting blog + past midnight x spell-check not up on B of
M = goodtimes

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for sharing the concept and your experiences - helpful to look at limitations from a positive view. My heart needed that tonight.